BioLab Pool Products
Without an understanding of a product’s proper use, customers may feel like a fish out of water. Biolab partnered with User Insight to uncover, through focus groups and contextual interviews, how customers truly use their pool maintenance products. Biolab then developed products that optimized the pool experience for each customer segment.
User Insight gave BioLab the power to hear the voice of the customer and see customers use their pool products. Our study revealed their customers’ motivations, attitudes, and behaviors related to pools and pool products. These insights guided BioLab as they developed new products.
- Investigate potential new products for pool owners: accessories, cleaning tools, test kits, and more.
- Get user feedback on BioLab’s new product concepts and user suggestions for other new products.
- Users have three different motivations for owning pools: aesthetics, fitness, and family recreation.
- User motivations drive how users purchase pool products and how users maintain their pools.
- Users also have overarching attitudes and behaviors related to pool products that present an opportunity for BioLab to differentiate itself from the competition.
- These motivations and behavioral characteristics led to a first round of personas and will drive product development efforts.
- User Insight conducted focus groups with 32 users to test an existing product and an in-development product in Chicago and Atlanta.
- User Insight performed ethnographic and contextual interviews with 30 pool owners in 5 states to discover product ideas.
- We watched users clean their pools and examined where they stored chemicals.
- We interviewed these participants about the use of products, opening and closing of pools, primary and secondary use of pools and how they performed ongoing maintenance.
- We visited the stores where they bought the supplies and talked to pool professionals.
Who we talked to
- In-ground and above-ground pool owners
- Pool owners with various levels of experience with pool maintenance
- A mix of users by region to understand differences in product needs based on climate and length of the pool season.