Celebrity Cruise Lines Online Booking
Creating a website for one customer type may cause other users to jump ship. Celebrity Cruise Lines collaborated with User Insight to explore their multiple demographic segmentations. The outcome was an increase in online bookings with all users.
User Insight conducted one-on-one interviews for Celebrity Cruise Lines and IQ Interactive to explore specific demographic segmentation profiles provided by Celebrity Cruise Lines. The interviews revealed three distinct motivations for cruise travel and, consequently, three different user personas. With this discovery, the client gained the power to address customers’ real and diverse motivations, not demographic stereotypes, and design a site that addresses all their needs.
- Understand how to appeal to and design for various segmentations with moderate to high incomes.
- Learn what website experiences these users prefer.
- Provide the right amount and types of content to increase online bookings.
Celebrity Cruise Lines and IQ Interactive learned that these users
- Had one of three distinct motivations for cruise travel: relaxation, exploration, or entertainment.
- Looked for different qualities and features in a cruise depending on their motivation:
- Relaxers like to lounge and enjoy cruises because they travel without having to unpack.
- Explorers use the cruise as a way to get to a new destination and enjoy land tours.
- Entertainment Seekers like the food, dancing, and nightlife on the cruise.
- Needed different website functions and messaging depending on their motivation for travel.
- 42 one-on-one close interviews in Atlanta, Chicago, and New York City including
- Questions about why these users cruise, what cruise lines they use, and more.
- Competitive review of several cruise line websites and how to book a cruise on them.
Who We Talked To
42 highly experienced cruisers with a mix of Celebrity Cruise Lines marketing/segmentation profiles.